GETTING SOME KIT
The guy (Simon) at the shop was about 45, French (but obviously worked in the resort for several years as he spoke fluent English but had 'I hate tourists!' tattooed on his forehead) and was not very friendly.
It was like I was the enemy to his relaxing day by entering his shop and attempting to fulfil my prepurchased hire order.
I explained (in English) that I’d booked gear (as I don't speak French). I did start out with 'Bonjour' (in a very bad attempt).
After a quick look, a grunt and a statement ‘down stairs’ with a quick head jerk towards the basement he left me. In French he spoke to another assistant who lazily walked down the stairs. Ahhh, I love French hospitality to English speakers.
Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs I was greeted by some benches and Simon (behind me) asking ‘What boot size?’ (more of a statement than a question).
My reply was ‘I have no idea as this is the first time I’ve snowboarded’; hoping this would appease his distaste for me.
With that he produced a scale and ordered me to put my feet on it. Without a word he chucked some boots at me. I guessed I was to try these on.
Then he grabbed a board and began adjusting it.
‘Boots’ was the next command.
Me being me, I walked over with them still on my feet. I was met with a glare (only the French can do that sort of glare) and I promptly removed the boots.
He then (very quickly) adjusted the straps on the board before saying ‘Done’.
To most people this would mean ‘I’ve done everything you need and you are now equipped for your joyous week of snowboarding. Have a nice day.’. To me it meant ‘?’. (picture stupid look on my face).
He had disappeared so I had no way of knowing if the Wayward Child's partner had prepaid for my items or not.
I left confused and wondering if I was supposed to have a helmet. I was sure this would be required for such a reckless sport. Apparently, not. Or was he hoping that the dumb ‘English’ girl will be hit in the head and get some sense knocked into her?